Friday, July 25, 2008

In which I am nervous and hope the greek gods can intervene.



Mom wanted to watch Emory for me a little this week to get back into the swing of things. He has changed a lot since May! I took the oppurtunity to go back to school and start getting my classroom into shape. I should have taken my therapist! All those horrible emotions that summer erased came back. Fear, Anxiety, nervousness, and ANGER ANGER ANGER. I've never felt this at the end of the summer. I've always been excited and eager to return to school. I used to love it so much. I remember at the beginning of last year thinking about how great a teacher I was and being a little excited to show off to new colleagues. Yes I know that is a horrible immodest thought! But now the gods must be punishing me because....now I wonder if I can do it at all. Ebee and I used to make offerings to Apollo on test days to help us get through World history (no doubt actually reading the texbook would have worked as well) Who do I speak to to get back some self confidence? Is there a muse of teaching? I think about standing in front of all those parents who desperately want to believe that I can do this really important thing and educate their children. Why should they trust me? I don't.


To combat these feelings I make a new calendar and fill it with beautiful pictures and words of hope.


5 Comments:

At 9:02 PM , Blogger Shanti and Aimee said...

It is I who is the muse of teaching (I just disguise myself as a Jazzercise instructor)... you can make offerings to me (I accept Master Card, Visa or a personal check).
Seriously, though, just look at the mom you've become... how can you NOT be a good teacher?

:) Aim

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger Andrea Pless said...

too funny! It's good to have the confidence of a muse!

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger elizabeth said...

You are an amazing teacher, even when you aren't in a classroom! I would take one of your classes in a second. Urania is the muse of astronomy, so maybe she would be the appropriate one for a science teacher to consult?

 
At 7:10 AM , Blogger HoosierKitty said...

Illegitimis non carborundum Okay, even the website I copied this from says it's pseudo-Latin but the sentiment is genuine. Don't let the turkeys get you down!
You are a very good teacher.

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger HoosierKitty said...

a correct Latin phrase for '”Don't let the turkeys get you down', he must say:

1-"Noli arrogantium iniurias pati"['Don't let the bastards grind you down']

2-"Noli insipientium iniurias pati"['Don't let the turkeys get you down']
Ebee would know if these are right

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home