Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A walk

This is a walk I took with Emory. It will show you parts of the neighborhood and maybe startle you with a new view of Colorado. It is not usually this green.







Here Emory and I set out for the walk. He is in the sling. At 22 pounds he is pretty heavy, but I am determined to do this every day. I don't have time to go the gym like Gabe does but walking is both free and schedulable. I figure carrying him is like a weight workout...for one side anyway.












We walked across the street and into another neighborhood. Soon we came upon this little OPEN SPACE. Jefferson County if very good about building these protected parks and wildlife areas into the neighborhoods. This one looks like a very green swampy valley the tavelles west. I was enticed to enter.










Further up in the wetlands we came to a lovely grove of trees. It looks like a place where dryads would congregate to sing and dance. The path continues up a steep embankment. Curious about what it contained, we continued.









Denver is a dry area and water is always a problem. Ironically, there are over 300 lakes in the Denver area. I actually live within walking distance of two! Unlike lakes back home, you cannot swim in any of these. I am tempted to come out one night and BREAK THE LAW... Don't worry I'll probably end up just taking a shower instead. Somedays that is a major accomplishment!









On the other side of the lake, there are more wetlands. What you can't see in the picture are the calls of the many many red wing blackbirds that have chosen to live in this place. They call to each other lending the appropriate sound effects for our nature walk.










On some parts of the walk there is a great deal of what looks like cotton on the side of the path. And when I say a great deal...I mean it blankets the edges of the path in 3-4 inches of white fuzziness. Then I came across this tree and recognized the culprit. You can't see the dancing fluffballs that fill the air, but Emory and I both found them delightful.










Our way home took us on this peaceful path where I got to satisfy my spying urge by looking into the gardens of many houses. Also, Emory got to laugh at the barking dogs. Whenever I see paths edged by trees, I get this urge to follow them. It seems like they should lead somewhere romantic like Narnia or Darcy's great estate. This one leads to a very busy road filled with loud abnoxious cars.





Our walk takes about an hour. When we return home I collapse on the couch to rest. Emory seems to think that the whole walk was a wonderful rest time and is now ready to play.

1 Comments:

At 5:31 AM , Blogger elizabeth said...

Wow, that looks wonderful! I especially like the dryad area!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home