Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Unbelievable


Today at work I had one of those AHHA moments that makes you reevaluate your life. My students were researching scientists for a biography project so I had lots of time to think about learning and teaching. I was having this AWESOME day...the kind where you can feel your brain expanding with all the ideas. At the end of the day I stopped off in another teacher's room to pick my milk up from the fridge and heard something completely unbelievable to me. This teacher was complaining about being asked to take on a leadership position. It wasn't a time or work issue....it was about refusing to get involved in the planning of learning. She said, "I've been hired to do a job and that's what I'm going to do and that's it." I personally don't know how she can say she is doing her job when all she does is assign readings from the book, scream at her students and give stupid tests that don't measure learning. It ended up terrifying me. I'm not the best teacher in the school...but I work really hard at it and totally love getting better. This teacher doesn't want to get better, experience new things, or increase learning. NO WONDER KIDS HATE SCHOOL!!! It makes me very fearful of sending Emory to public schools. Is that a strange thing for a public school teacher to say? On the other hand I don't think private schools are great either. So now I'm looking into Montisorri schools. Thankfully he is four months old and working on learning the skill of napping :) The end of my rant is that if you have kids in school or will ever have kids in school....make sure you advocate for them and know what's going on. There are a lot of mean bullies out there mascarading as teachers.

Check out this cutie that will graduate in 2024! Red Sox bull pen here I come!

1 Comments:

At 5:27 PM , Blogger TemporaryLibrarian said...

Every day I am impressed with the teachers I work with - how deeply they care about each child and how hard they look for ways to help the ones who don't get it yet. There's a positive community of learners here that includes every adult in the building. Don't give up on public schools - just move back here and go to mine!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home