Monday, May 25, 2009

Back at school...momentarily

This week I went back to school. But really it wasn't too hard for me. I'm only going back for 8 days and then we have summer break. So... it has been more of a reunion and cleaning oppurtunity for me. My 7th graders did a neat project where they invent their own island ecosystems and organisms and my 8th graders cleaned and organized! By the end of the week all the cabinets were neat, all the materials were inventoried, and all the junk was thrown away.


It wasn't all fun and games- I wrote two referrals, had two parent complaints (not related), and had a conversation with a third parent who told me she was telling everyone she knew NOT to send their kids to the school. (smile and nod- "I really appreciate the feedback")


It wasn't the most successful school year I've ever had. And of course, I was either pregnant and sick or on leave so there are lots of reasons for this. But as a parent I don't think that is what I would want. The kids did have lots of amazing learning oppurtunities and so many of them did amazing work. But it was a little disheartening when on the last day of classes, a student asked me, "Are plants and animals the same thing?" I just wanted to beat my head against the wall. (I could only think of one other question that would show less understanding of life science.)


But that is the best thing about teaching.....you get to reflect on all the things you did wrong and then spend the summer making AMAZING and FABULOUS plans for the next year. And they are amazing and fabulous- get ready PROJECT SCIENTIST!


Oh...yeah...the other great thing is getting to spend the summer in the sun, basking in the garden of flowers and smiles.


2 Comments:

At 1:37 PM , Blogger TemporaryLibrarian said...

One wonders - what is the other question?

 
At 8:40 AM , Blogger elizabeth said...

Haha, that's just what I was going to say!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home