Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Andrea's at home diary - entry one

I have been home from the hospital for a week now. I must be getting some kind of overdose of good hormones from the nursing because I FEEL GREAT. Better than in a long long time. In fact I'm sleeping more now than I was before. This is probably due to not having work anxiety. (hmmmm is that a sign?)

Transitioning from a classroom of students all clamoring for attention to a couple of small children clamoring for attention has been enjoyable but not easy. I still get emails from students begging for their grade to be raised. One asked me for extra credit. I briefly thought about making him come over and empty diaper pails! Still it is hard to turn off the level of attention that is demanded these days, but I work at it because I don't want it messing up every day of my maternity time.

Emory is becoming...hmmm....interestingly challenging. His natural proclivities for curiosity and stuborness make doing everyday chores difficult. He is extremely sweet to the new baby and insists on kissing her a lot and holding her. But then at least twice a day he tries to kill her so I can only assume he has some pent up conflicting feelings about sharing mom and dad. Gabe and I are working hard to carve out special time for him each day and this seems to help.

Lily is a very sweet baby. She is incredibly easy so far, but still very tiny! We go to the pediatrician next Monday so we can see if she has gained a lot of weight in the last week and a half. I imagine she has. my nickname for her is EATER.

Maternity leave is such a great time for reflection and introspection. There are lots of naps and walks. Meals consisting of apple juice and pretzels are concerned gourmet achievements. The only people judging you happen to also believe that you are a mommy goddess. Everything is just very concrete. What do I have to do today? Feed the kids. Play. Feed. Play. Sleep. clean. Play. Feed. sleep. feed feed feed feed feed feed. It is very quiet. Second babies are so much more fun and non worrisome.

2 Comments:

At 1:40 AM , Blogger Dr. Hausfrau said...

Glad to hear you are doing well! You are a great mom!

 
At 11:26 AM , Blogger elizabeth said...

I love getting glimpses of your life in these diary entries; they are always so interesting. Keep posting them!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home