Friday, April 11, 2008

Tough year

Recently my students have been very endearing and annoying at the same time. Today a 7th grader came up to me with a pile of trash in his hands. He said, "What should I do with this?" I probably should have just said, "Throw it away" but I couldn't do it. I hate answering all these questions all day long from people who know the answer. So instead I said, "You know, I think that you will be able to come up with a solution to that problem and I don't think you need my assisstance with that weighty issue." As I looked around the room I could see three trash cans and a recylcing bin within a 10 foot radious. He looked at the trash for a moment and then very carefully piled it on an empty desk and went back to his seat. I took three deep breaths and looked the other way.

For your amusement I am posting some of the more frustrating questions that students ask. Tomorrow I'll post common teacher sayings just so it's fair.

1. What page are we on? (It's posted on the board)
2. Do I need to write this down? (Only if you want to learn it)
3. Did we do anything yesterday? (No we sat here and picked our noses because you were absent.)
4. Can we have a free day? (absolutely, that's why I went to school and got a master's degree)
5. Will this be on the test? (Are you going to stop learning if I say no?)
6. I haven't turned in any work for the past 5 weeks, do you think I can pass this class? (!)
7. When will I ever use this anyway? (well you see, Reproduction is ...)
8. What's wrong with my tee shirt? (Ummm...well... Sluts are Us is not really our official school slogan)

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM , Blogger elizabeth said...

That is so funny!! All of those questions get asked by college students too, sadly. Except the last one. And in my field they have more of an excuse for asking #7.

 
At 9:20 AM , Blogger HoosierKitty said...

Those kids will (hopefully) grow up to be library patrons......the ones who ask "Where are the tax forms? (You walked past them to get to this desk.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home